In the past, blogs were mainly associated with internet journals. However, they have recently become a widely-used marketing and communication tool. Not only is a blog a perfect place for sharing one’s passions with others, but it is also a device that enables you to get in touch with your customers – the ones who have already made a purchase as well as those who are still pondering the best solution.
When we write texts and decide to publish them, we want them to reach out to the broadest possible group of recipients – otherwise, we would be writing just for our own sake. Therefore, it is of great significance to consider a few basic rules of SEO. In this text, you will find what SEO is and why it is so important.
What is SEO?
SEO, which stands for Search Engine Optimization, is the process that aims to rank high in search engines. It is assumed in marketing that SEO is just one of many elements that influence positioning. As the name suggests, it is a practice of optimizing the website in terms of search engine algorithms. The most popular search engine in Europe is Google.
The actions of SEO can be divided into on-site (directly related to the Internet website) and off-site (going beyond the website). We have a greater impact on the first one. On-site actions include elements that are visible to the users, such as published texts, as well as those which are hidden and included in the website code, aiming to facilitate the functioning of the website.
The basics of SEO for bloggers – what should you know?
- Keywords and key phrases – the words which are utilized by Internet users to find useful information. Such tools as Google Ads can be used to find appropriate keywords. Keywords can be divided into so-called “short tails” and “long tails”. The difference between these two categories is that the latter is longer and more precise. If a customer is looking for winter boots, “winter boots” will be a basic key phrase. Such phrases as: “women’s winter boots” or “women’s winter trapper shoes shop” suggest that they are interested in a particular kind of shoes, and they might buy them.
- Dividing the text into paragraphs – thanks to that division the text becomes clearer and more reader-friendly. Internet users tend to avoid a long block of text and usually just skim over it. Thanks to a readable division of the text, it will become easier to find useful information and the reader is likely to stay longer on the website. In addition, each paragraph should have a heading or subheading.
- Highlighted headings and subheadings – these elements show the search engine what a given text is about and what is most important. Bear in mind that a heading H1 should be used just once, and any other headings and subheadings can be indicated by using such tags as H2, H3 etc., in accordance with formatting hierarchy.
- Text uniqueness – all SEO guides contain information that the texts published on the website should be unique. What does it mean? They should simply be worthwhile, that is engaging, and riveting to read. The originality of the text is of great significance. It cannot be a plagiarism – search engine algorithms can easily find out where the text appeared first. Not only can plagiarism tarnish the image of the company among the recipients, but it can also influence its position in search results.
- Internal linking – it is a practice of using links and references to other articles and posts published on the same website/blog in the text.
- Photo optimizing – this aspect is often unjustly omitted. The photos published on the blog should have an appropriate title, which suggests what is the content of them. Keywords can be also included in the title, enabling the algorithms to properly index the blog.
What plays a significant part in the positioning of websites and blogs are the texts that are published. What should you pay particular attention to?
Why is SEO so significant?
SEO is one of the most important elements of online marketing. As you know, the Internet is a treasure trove of knowledge, and we can find there information on nearly every subject. The fact that most people use search engines, such as Yahoo and Google, for information, rather than using an encyclopedia, is a sign of our times.
Optimization of the website or blog in terms of search engine algorithms enables you to rank high in search results and, therefore, to reach the widest number of potential recipients. Algorithms are subject to constant change, but it is common knowledge that the websites, which are often visited by Internet users, eventually get better positions. Robots recognize them as attractive and trustworthy. In other words, the heavier is the traffic on the website, the bigger are the chances of gaining new customers.
SEO for bloggers – should we write for the algorithms or readers?
To sum up, SEO is crucial for both bloggers and businessmen because it makes it possible to get through to people, which are likely to take further action – they might buy your products or services. Therefore, it is vital to bear in mind that the text should be reader-oriented and not robot-oriented. All texts that we publish ought to be unique and concise because of their major aim – to meet the readers’ demands and only then bring in some profit for the businessmen. SEO is a tool that allows you to get through to readers.
We hope that this article gave you a little insight into the topic of SEO for bloggers and that it will encourage you to introduce some changes in your blog. If you would like your texts to get through to readers and bring you further profit, pay attention to polishing them off in terms of SEO. If you run your own business and would like to have the professionalists do that, you are welcome to make use of our services.